Want more recipes? To see our entire food & recipe archive, click here and bookmark it. Over 400+ recipes for every occasion (including drinks)!
There is nothing I love more than cheese, potatoes and smoked sausage so this recipe is definitely a family favorite!
Total Time: 1 hrs
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
3 cups idaho potatoes, peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool, approx. 1 lb
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 lb Velveeta cheese, diced
1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 lb skinless smoked sausage (Eckrich is my favorite brand)
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1. Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then chop into 1/2 inch “half moon” cuts. Cook in a frying pan for about 15 minutes, turning frequently to SLIGHTLY brown.
2. Meanwhile, put cooked & diced potatoes in 2 quart casserole. Add cooked meat and give it a gentle toss.
3. Mix all remaining ingredients (except for shredded cheddar cheese & the paprika) in a saucepan over medium heat until warm, melted and smooth. (Use a whisk and stir constantly.).
4. Pour white/cheese sauce over potatoes and meat. Sprinkle shredded sharp cheddar cheese on top, and then sprinkle paprika evenly over the top.
5. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 35-45 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).
NOTE: You can substitute: 1/2 lb. hot dogs, sliced into 1/2-inch slices OR 1/2 lb. ham diced into 1/2-inch dices OR 12 oz. can of Spam diced into 1/2-inch dices, instead of the smoked sausage.
Velveeta asked me if I knew any Liquid Gold Diggers. I’ll know more soon once they taste these dishes! Why? Because Liquid Gold Diggers love the Liquid Gold of Velveeta.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Velveeta via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Velveeta