This is one of my favorite baking recipes. Blueberry bars filled with a tart and fruity filling, topped with buttery streusel topping. They make a nice sweet treat for breakfast or dessert. Or an anytime snack because they’re so good you’ll try to eat them every chance you get.
This recipe is infinitely adaptable. If blueberries aren’t in season where you are, frozen blueberries also works well, as does other fruit such as raspberries or blackberries. I’ve also done a fall variation using apple butter instead of fruit. The bars also store better in the fridge or in the fridge for future use than at room temperature.
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup cold unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup almonds
1 Tbs. of lemon juice
2 pints of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup white sugar
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan, or line with parchment paper or tinfoil.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup sugar, 3 cups flour, and baking powder and salt. Use a fork or pastry cutter to blend in the butter and egg. Dough will be crumbly. Press dough into prepared pan. Reserve 1/4 to 1/2 of the dough for the topping.
3. In another bowl, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Gently mix in the blueberries. Sprinkle the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust.
4. Pulse almonds finely in a food processor. Combine with the remaining dough and crumble over the top of the blueberries. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until top is slightly brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
5. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
We have guest bloggers on our site often. It’s a great way for others to share their ideas and opinions with us all. If you’re interested in contributing in some way, feel free to contact us and we would be happy to chat with you.