This post brought to you by Fresh From Florida. All opinions are 100% mine.
One of the greatest things about living in Florida is the abundance of fresh, seasonal produce right at my fingertips. Although I don't like to gloat, in January we are still seeing comfortable temperatures that help nurture a lot of our local produce. While some states are seeing snowstorms, and below freezing temperatures, I am able to enjoy the fresh and delicious seasonal produce that Florida has to offer. Avocados, Corn, and Tomatoes all flourish in Florida during this time, so the food I make with what is available locally can be as healthy as it is delicious.
The local fresh produce is both wholesome and fresh, and I wanted to share with you one of my favorite foods that incorporates a few of the local and fresh items that Florida's January can provide. Using avocados, corn and tomatoes (and a few other ingredients) I can create a delicious vegetarian burrito that really fills me up, and hits the spot any time. Easy to make and serve right away, refrigerate, or even freeze for re-heating later, these are a hit for vegetarians, and carnivores alike.
Without further adieu, enjoy these delicious seasonal, Fresh from Florida, burritos!
Corn, Tomato, and Rice Burrito (topped with fresh avocado)
Yield: 5 burritos
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
5 large tortillas
3/4 cups medium grain white rice, uncooked
1 15-ounce cans black beans, drained
1/2 cup fresh corn, cut from the cob.
1 cup fresh diced tomatoes
1/4 cup green pepper, diced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 cup red chile sauce
5 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
1/2 fresh Florida avocado, mashed.
Salt and pepper to taste
This recipe is as simple as it is delicious.
1) Add white rice to a large pot with recommended amount of water, a pinch of salt and the cumin.
2) Add the diced tomatoes into your rice, bring to a simmer, cover, turn heat down to low, and cook until water is fully evaporated.
3) Once rice is cooked, add in your black beans and corn and season to taste with salt and pepper. Then let rice and bean mixture cool just a little bit before making the burrito.
4) To make a burrito, lay out a large tortilla, put 1 ounce of grated cheese in the lower third of the tortilla. Put 1/2 cup of rice, corn, pepper and beans then add two tablespoons of red chili sauce.
5) Wrap burrito tightly together, making sure to fold in the sides first.
6) Smother the top with mashed avocado, and enjoy.
If you prefer a crispier tortilla, you can pan fry them, or bake in the oven at 350 until tortillas are slightly browned.
¡Buen provecho! ¡Buen apetito! ¡Que aproveche!
Make sure to like Fresh from Florida on Facebook and follow them on twitter at @FreshfromFL!
Do you have a favorite recipe that includes corn, avocado and tomatoes? If so, please share!
Modern Day Moms is an award-winning publication centered around motherhood that is real and unfiltered. Basically, we don’t sugarcoat anything and aren’t afraid to tell you the truth. Let’s be best friends, we will make you feel more normal.