Parents can help their kids start the year off right by establishing a homework routine. Designate a space that is quiet, well lit and free from distractions, and use that same spot every day.
Claire Haas, Vice President of Education for Kiddie Academy also recommends creating a Homework Bin to make sure all needed materials are always ready. The homework bin avoids interruptions to the routine – there will be no excuse to wander off, looking for a pencil or marker.
How to Create a Homework Bin
1. Designate a specific basket or tote as the Homework Bin
2. Label the bin so everyone knows what it’s for
3. Keep it handy, near the designated homework spot
4. When homework is done, return all materials to the bin each day
5. Resist temptation to use these materials for other crafts – keep it ready
6. Explain the concept to your family
7. Restock the bin as necessary
Modern Day Moms is an award-winning publication centered around motherhood that is real and unfiltered. Basically, we don’t sugarcoat anything and aren’t afraid to tell you the truth. Let’s be best friends, we will make you feel more normal.