It’s soup weather here again. I think the high was 65 degrees. Yesterday? It was almost 90. I know…ridiculous right? The kids were swimming yesterday – today they were in long sleeves.
So once again it’s time to pull out a good soup recipe. So many people loved my Albondigas Soup (AKA: meatball soup) recipe, so I decided to share another family favorite – Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Kale. Seriously, it’s the ultimate comfort food soup…and it absolutely ridiculously easy to make! Yum!
Italian Sausage Soup with White Beans and Kale
- 1 pound Italian sausage (if you like spicy like we do, go for the spicy Italian sausage instead of mild)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I use way more)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cups of beef broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, with juice
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can great Northern beans, undrained
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 2 cups kale – packed, rinsed and torn **I’ve also used spinach and it’s just as yummy
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a stockpot or Dutch oven, brown sausage with garlic. Stir in broth, tomatoes and carrots, and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans with liquid and zucchini. Cover, and simmer another 15 minutes, or until zucchini is tender.
- Remove from heat, and add spinach. Replace lid allowing the heat from the soup to cook the spinach leaves. Soup is ready to serve after 5 minutes.
And that’s it! Serve with some toasted sourdough bread or garlic bread and a green salad and make it a meal.
Bonus: This soup freezes and reheats really well so make an extra big batch and you’ll have a oops-I-have-nothing-to-make-for-dinner backup meal!
Today’s guest post is brought to us by Natalie. Natalie is a SAHM of three children: her 3-year-old son and 1-year-old twin girls. She writes Mommy of a Monster and Twins, about the day-to-day chaos that comes with chasing three kids in three different directions, usually all at the same time. In her free time, which she rarely has anymore, she reads, writes, cooks, gardens, drinks wine, and works as a freelance writer and social media consultant. She’s also a Twitterholic, and you can find her there as @mommyofamonster.
We have guest bloggers on our site often. It’s a great way for others to share their ideas and opinions with us all. If you’re interested in contributing in some way, feel free to contact us and we would be happy to chat with you.