My house smells delicious at the moment and it’s all because of this super-easy recipe. I actually saw an article about cooking soups in the crockpot and it had me convinced that I needed to try a potato soup recipe. I went with what I had on hand and it was the perfect combination.
As the writing of this recipe, the soup has a little bit longer to cook before I had in the cream/milk. It gives it a smooth, comforting texture.
The trick to the ease of this recipe is using the pre-cooked sausage crumbles. I used the Turkey sausage crumbles but really, the choice is yours. You can cook up your own sausage, you can use italian sausage. The possibilities are… well you know.
Easy Crockpot Potato, Sausage & Greens Soup
2 cups pre-cooked sausage (can use any variety such as turkey, pork, italian, mild, hot.)
4 large or 8 small red potatoes, sliced in half, and then sliced in half again
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fresh kale
1 cup fresh spinach (can use frozen if preferred)
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 cup heavy whipping cream or whole milk
1 tsp olive oil
Salt & Pepper, to taste
Optional Seasonings (use as much or as little as you’d like):
Red Pepper Flakes
1. Chop onions, potatoes and garlic and set aside
2. Turn crockpot on high and add in 1 tsp of olive oil to the bottom
3. Place onions, potatoes, and garlic in the crockpot
4. Pour in the broth over top of the vegetables
5. Add in sausage and greens (kale & spinach) and stir all together
6. Cook on high-heat for about 3 hours, or until potatoes are fully done
7. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
8. Turn to low heat and add in cream/milk and stir.
9. Heat through and serve.
Salt and pepper to taste.