It’s not only important to wash your bedding which includes sheets, comforters and pillowcases, it’s also important to take care of your mattress.
Here are a few things you can do to keep your mattress fresh and lovely:
1. Throw back the bedding and allow the mattress to air dry for a few hours to keep moisture levels down. You most likely sweat a tiny bit (or a lot) when you sleep, and then covering up the mattress with the heavy blankets when you make the bed… traps the moisture in. Give it time to dry by waiting a few hours before making the bed, if this means not being able to make your bed before work, so be it… no one is going to judge you. Promise.
2. Launder the bedding and mattress cover weekly (if you use one, we’d suggest it.. even the padded ones are fabulous).
3. Give your mattress a quick vacuum every few weeks. This helps eliminate dust mites and dander.
Homemade DIY Mattress Refreshers:
1. Give your mattress a makeover by mixing a few drops of tea tree oil into 2 pints (1 liter) of water. Sponge gently on your mattress and leave to dry. Bonus: Tee tree oil is not only a disinfectant, it also helps prevent lice and mites.
2. Sprinkle baking soda all over the mattress and leave for 8-10 hours. This will help absorb moisture and stale smells. Vacuum the mattress completely after.
3. Apply a mattress cover to the bed. This doesn’t have to be a crinkly one that sounds like plastic, it can even be fabric. This will help keep the mattress fresh once you’ve cleaned it with the steps above.