Welcome to Jess T.’s Tech Tuesday, where all your geek are belong to us!
Nowadays, everyone has a video camera. Whether it’s a fancy HD recording device or an iPhone, today’s technology allows everyone to be a filmmaker. Unfortunately, not everyone is a GOOD filmmaker.
Now, don’t get so offended. I don’t mean to single you out – you’re not alone! I myself almost always make “sucky” videos. With Facebook status updates, tweets and perpetual over-sharing dominating our culture, we just can’t fight the desire to show the world every mundane detail of our lives!
NEVER FEAR! Steve Stockman is here!
In Steve’s new book, How To Shoot Video That Doesn’t Suck, he offers up tips and tricks of the pros – without tech jargon or confusing film school terminology. As Steve says, “Knowing how to work a video camera doesn’t make you a filmmaker any more than knowing how to cut with a scalpel makes you a brain surgeon.”
Not only is the book packed with clear and concise advice on how to take your videos from flop to fab – its also funny! I mean, the name really says it all. Here’s a couple of hints to get you started right away….
How to Shoot the Cutest Kids on Earth: Yours
• Think in Shots: Short, 5 second shots show us a lot, and keep others from being incredibly bored.
• Shoot at their level. Don’t shoot down at them, be with them. Much more interesting.
• Don’t shoot until you see the whites of their eyes. You want memories…and kid’s lives are told through their faces. If you miss their eyes, you’re missing detail you’ll want later.
• Keep the video short. Your mother loves your kids, but if she’s bored, she’s just like you. It’s only one click from your link to Family Guy.
• Misbehavior is more watchable than good behavior. Which story do you tell: the night you were eight and sat down to a polite dinner, or the night your dad told a joke and your sister laughed so hard milk came out her nose? Shoot first, ask questions later.
• Use interviews. Kids say the darndest things, and all that.
Not only do I plan to put Steve Stockman’s words to good use, I plan to share them… with you!
We will be giving away 4 copies of How To Shoot Video That Doesn’t Suck to 4 lucky readers.
But that’s not all…
To one lucky Grand Prize winner, we will be giving a copy of the book and a brand-spankin’-new Kodak Playsport Pocket Video Camera!!!
This HD camera can totally amp up your videos, is shockproof, dustproof and WATERPROOF up to 10 ft underwater, so you can film all your summer adventures! The Kodak Playport also comes with built-in editing software so you can trim videos, add voice-overs and more. If you’ve got an HDMI cable at home, you can use the HDMI port to hook the camera directly to your HDTV for the satisfaction of viewing your masterpiece on the “big screen!”
The four winners (chosen at random, thanks to random.org) of How to Shoot Video That Doesn’t Suck are….
- STEPHANIE E.
- AMANDA KLENNER
- BETSY HOFF
The GRAND PRIZE WINNER of a copy of Steve’s book and a brand new Kodak Playsport HD video camera is…
Congrats to the winners! Keep your eyes out for an email from us! Thanks so much to all those who entered and HUGE THANKS to Steve Stockman and Kodak for helping us with this awesome Tech Tuesday giveaway!