When Sarah says “sloppy joe,” the phrase “healthy food” doesn’t really come to mind, does it? Well it will after you see this recipe. She will show you how to make a turkey sloppy joe that’s just as delicious, juicy, and comforting as the original, but far better for you. What’s the secret? She will swap 3/4 pound ground turkey (93 percent lean, dark meat) for the traditional beef — far less fat, and then adds chunks of sweet potato to it, which contributes healthy bulk in the form of good-for-you-fiber.
Today she will show us how to make Turkey Sloppy Joes with Kale Chips!
Sarah says: “If you tune in to the video below, I’ll show you a really easy recipe for a super-healthy potato chip alternative: crispy kale chips. Kale chips??? That’s what I said. They’re delicious.” Try them!
Turkey Sloppy Joes with Kale Chips
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 4 carrots, coarsely grated (2 cups)
• 1 medium onion, minced
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• Coarse salt and ground pepper
• 3 tablespoons tomato paste
• 3/4 pound ground turkey (93% lean, dark meat)
• 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons dark-brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 4 whole-wheat hamburger rolls, split
• In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium; add carrots, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
• Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add turkey; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes.
• Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve on whole-wheat rolls.
Our friend Sarah Carey, editor-in-chief of Everyday Food® Magazine just launched her delicious “How-To” series on YouTube. A 13-year veteran of the Martha Stewart test kitchen, Sarah is an expert in converting culinary classics into easy and convenient meals for the family.
Tune in to Sarah’s Everyday Food YouTube Channel Monday through Friday as Sarah introduces viewers to fresh meal ideas like Simple Potato Gnocchi, Crispy Beef Tacos, Fudgy Pecan Brownies and Glazed Citrus Doodles.