This is what you would consider to be a super-cool, kid-friendly appetizer or snack for a weekend movie night or game day extravaganza.
The caramelized onions and creamy sauce make these yummy bites a huge hit at parties. People say they’re even better than the mini burger appetizers that are so popular at restaurants. — Maribeth Condo, Lindenhurst, Illinois
- 16 frozen waffle-cut fries
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons steak seasoning
- 3 egg yolks
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 slices cheddar cheese, quartered
- Bake waffle fries according to package directions. In a large skillet, cook onions in butter and oil over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add the sugar, salt and pepper; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine beef and steak seasoning. Shape into 16 patties. Cook in a large skillet until a meat thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear, turning once.
- For sauce, in a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, constantly whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and water until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly.
- Top each waffle fry with a burger and cheese. Broil 4-5 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with onions and sauce. Yield: 16 appetizers.
Nutritional Facts1 appetizer equals 195 calories, 15 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 275 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
Originally published as Mini-Burger Potato Bites in Taste of Home’s Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p219
Modern Day Moms is an award-winning publication centered around motherhood that is real and unfiltered. Basically, we don’t sugarcoat anything and aren’t afraid to tell you the truth. Let’s be best friends, we will make you feel more normal.